I have to give credit where credit is due on this one… this concept is 100% my husband’s. I am generally the cook in the house but when he told me about his tortilla pizzas, and then we made them, I was hooked! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
1) I love crispy pizza crisp and it doesn’t get much crispier than this!
2) Fast! No waiting for dough to rise. Easy to whip up for a quick dinner or snack.
3) Small size means great for one person or grab a pack of tortillas and make them for all your friends.
4) This is my favorite way to clean out the fridge. That leftover chicken from Tuesday night? The dregs in the BBQ sauce bottle that’s been upside down in the fridge for who knows how long? That last smidgen of smoked cheese? Throw on some red onion and that there sounds like a mighty tasty pizza!
5) Everyone gets what they want. My husband’s will be piled with every meat thinkable. See #4 for a pizza more my style.
6) Depending what you put on it, these can be a healthy alternative when the pizza craving hits.
How do you make them? Well, remember I promised this was easy. Take a little olive oil and heat it in a fry pan on high heat. When hot, add a tortilla and crisp up on both sides. Place on paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Top with your favorites and then place in a 300°F oven and bake just until cheese is melted.
The options are endless! In photo above – a whole wheat tortilla topped with a couple teaspoons of homemade pesto, an ounce or so of cooked sausage, smoked mozzarella cheese and then sliced fresh tomatoes, oregano and fresh ground pepper once it was taken out of the oven.
Now that is what I call pizza with pizzazz!